Sunday 8 May 2016

My Future in Floristry

Just now I'm working away on my file for my Floristry course, I'm trying so hard to keep up to date with it all but there's just so much to do each week, along with working full time I'm really struggling to keep on top of it all at the moment. 

I'm really enjoying the practical side of the course though and I'm in my absolute elements when I'm making or creating something, so I thought I would share some bits with you and explain how I ended up on this course.

As I mentioned above I absoutely love being creative and after feeling stuck in the same boring, monotonous job for the past 9 years I begun to think 'I need to do something with my life, find myself, figure out a career for myself, be someone!' 

I decided on trying out Floristry after my parents bought my sister a bouquet of flowers at the beginning of last year to say 'Congratulations' (I won't go in to too much detail as to what for) I sat at the dining table looking at the arrangement thinking 'I reckon I could do that' not in a big headed way at all, because believe me Floristry is not as easy as it looks! it was kind of my vision I suppose. 

After thinking about it for a little while I started to look into finding a course to do, it had to be an evening course as I still have to continue working whilst studying. I contacted a few local colleges but with it being the middle of term time in Feb-March I struggled to find any courses.

Around May-June I came across a website one day which you could apply for apprenticeships, I found one that was around 15 mins away from home and thought it sounded perfect, unfortunately I didn't get the position, I was absolutely gutted!

I then continued to contact local colleges, I spoke to a lady at the college I'm currently studying at who informed me that courses usually started around September, So I waited until August and went onto their website to have a look at their new prospectus. I finally found the course, but it didn't start until December, feeling a further deflated and extremely impatient about it by this point after spending 8 months by this point trying to find something, I looked into it further and found a free 2 week taster course that the college was running, I decided to leap at the chance of finding out what I was potentially getting myself into, I found the classes difficult but really enjoyable.

Not long after I went to sign up for the level 1 course starting in December. I have been doing Floristry now for 6 months and feel like I could definitely see myself doing this for a living, although the paperwork side of it is a little laborious I can't wait to get stuck in to working on someone's special day and even sending someone off with a special floral tribute. Once I'm close to the end of my course I'm definitely going to get my foot in the door of a local florist and work myself up, I'm not sure exactly where I want to go with it all just yet, but I just want to have a job that doesn't make me feel down about having to go to work and have me clock watching all day waiting desperately for 5pm.

I really hope and pray that my dreams come true one day

Sam xx


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying it and I really hope it all works out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks lovely, still early days yet but I'll be sure to post an update in the future xx

      Delete